Mini Minds specializes in providing collaborative, comprehensive, family-driven solutions to maximize the success and improve the lives of children with sensory processing, behavioral, fine and gross motor development, executive functioning, strength and endurance, and other challenges. Each child is unique, and our team of occupational therapists are experts in identifying and maximizing your child’s strengths, while building on the skills they need to enhance in order to meet the demands of everyday life. Rather than traditional therapy models, our plan is both driven and implemented by
the family to create customized strategies and lifestyle modifications for home, school, and in the community.
We will start with an initial evaluation, with both you and your child, and learn about your child’s unique strengths and skills. This initial evaluation will be customized, based on the needs indicated on your intake form, and include a mix of formal and informal assessments to evaluate your child’s skills. Common areas of assessment include:
- Sensory processing challenges, including difficulties with sustaining attention/focus, tolerating various sensory input, behavioral control, emotional regulation, and interpersonal/social skills.
- Executive functioning, such as problem solving, organizing, and coordinating daily tasks and schedules at school, home, and other environments.
- Fine motor, gross motor, and visual motor skills, including handwriting, coordination, and play skills.
- Self-help skills, such as dressing, feeding, and bathing to promote independence and success in daily life skills.
- Following your initial evaluation, we will meet to discuss the results of the assessments and develop goals and a plan to target the skills your child needs to maximize success and participation. Follow-up sessions are based on your child’s needs. We can even provide feedback to coaches, providers, teachers, and other caregivers to increase occupational performance across environments.
Common goals include:
- Collaborate to develop customized, child and family strategies to improve sensory regulation, attention and focus at home and in the classroom.
- Learn specific strategies to help your child improve their attention, endurance, and participation in school related tasks such as handwriting, social skills, typing, and play.
- Develop home programs and lifestyle modifications that promote opportunities for sensory, emotional, and educational enrichment for your child.
- Adapt, add, or remove specific sensory, behavioral, or emotional regulation strategies, as your child gains increased self-regulation skills and their sensory processing needs change.
- Adjust modifications made to your child’s routine or environment, as needs and expectations change at home, school, and at other activities.